In contrast to the common misbelief there is nothing weird or mysterious about the hypnotic state. It is a totally natural state which can be most closely likened to day dreaming or the period just before going to sleep.
Hypnosis is an inward focusing of attention through which the demands of the outside world are switched off. It is a state of deep relaxation during which the critical analytical mind shuts off, making the unconscious mind more accessible.
During hypnosis you are not asleep and nothing can happen without your consent. You can hear everything being said and afterwards will usually remember all that has happened whilst in hypnosis. Hypnotherapy as a complementary therapy, is a useful supplement to orthodox medicine and can achieve considerable success in its own right.
I adhere to a very strict code of conduct that the NSPH has as part of its articles.(View here ) and I will never disclose any identifying information regarding you or the session we have, verbally, in my website or any other form, without first seeking your permission and approval to do so.
Virtually everyone can enter the hypnotic state using the right techniques and hypnotherapist/hypnotist with whom you feel empathy. Some of the best hypnotic subjects are intelligent people with a strong ability to visualise. It is only when the IQ is very low (below 40) or the person is unable to visualise even slightly, or there is a problem with the therapist or where the hypnosis is being attempted, that hypnosis is usually impossible
The main worry of most people is that the hypnotherapist will have some sort of magical power over them. There is no magic and the only power used is the power of your own mind
MOST CERTAINLY NOT - You cannot be made to do anything against your wishes or moral code. You retain full control throughout entire hypnotherapy session. (Stage Hypnotists are given 'permission' by the subject to entertain the audience, and sometimes alcohol reduces the persons inhibitions and they do things that normally they wouldn't, but then alcohol itself can do that. Most often a person who would enjoy Karaoke would enjoy stage hypnotism)
During hypnosis EEG recordings show that you are more alert than during the waking state. There is however, a focusing of attention inwards so that outward attention becomes less, which is similar to daydreaming or to how you feel in the few seconds before you drop off to sleep. You are in a state of deep relaxation where the analytical part of your mind closes down and the unconscious mind opens up to listen and to react.
The human brain is an amazing organ in that the restrictions placed on it during childhood are still acted on and used as criteria for decisions made later in life in situations where they are obviously no longer relevant. Hypnosis can help you to reprogram these references so they are relevant to the here and now
Definitely Not!! Since you retain full control whilst in hypnosis you cannot be compelled to reveal anything you wish to keep secret.
It is wise to tell your doctor of any complementary treatment you are contemplating. In fact, in some cases your hypnotherapist may be reluctant to start treatment until you have done so.
Hypnotherapy is one of the safest, quickest and most effective forms of treatment for the majority of psychological and emotional problems with few risks and side effects. It fosters an attitude of independence and mastery in coping with problems and can also accelerate the healing process in many physiological problems. Positive aspects of hypnosis include the production of a much more profound level of relaxation with a concomitant reduction in stress levels.
Doctors are becoming increasingly supportive of hypnotherapy as an aid to better health. It is a non-invasive therapy, complementary to orthodox medicine
- Eating & Appetite Disorders: Stress Disorders & Management: Anxiety, Tension Headaches, Decreased Concentration Levels, Energy Depletion, Tension, Frustration, Panic Attacks, Increased Irritability, etc.
- Addictions & Disorder of Habit: Alcoholism, Smoking, Insomnia, Bed-wetting, Nail-biting, Thumb-sucking, etc.
- Lack of Confidence: Public Speaking, Shyness, Stage Fright, Blushing, etc.
- Fears & Phobias: Irrational Fears of Height, Darkness, Snakes, Animals, Insects Water, Rats, Insects, Birds; Fear of Dentists, Blood; Fear of flying, Closed / Open Spaces, etc.
- Psycho-Sexual Problems:
- Social Disabilities: Speech Disorders, Tics, Tremors, etc. Depression & Unresolved Grief: Separation, Divorce, Death of Family Member/ Friend/ Pet, Job Loss, Business Failure, etc. Childbirth... Post-Natal Depression, etc.
- Academic Difficulties: Studying, Exam Nerves - School, Nursing, Driving, etc
- Pain Management: In Acute & Chronic Illness, Burns, Cancer, Dentistry, etc.
- Sports Difficulties: Performance Enhancement, Training Discipline, Event/competition Nerves. Executive Stress-Sales Performance-Burn Out-Interview Performance, etc.
Hypnosis can also assist, ease and relieve the suffering for those with conditions such as M.E., M.S., Cancer, HIV & AIDS related illnesses, etc.
Whilst it may not be possible to obtain a cure, techniques and treatments are available which can assist in the relief of distressing symptoms and help subject to come to terms with their illness so bring about a significant and beneficial change in the quality of their life.